Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Huse

Our guest speaker was Dr. Huse.

The conversation was very interesting and interactive. My family is from the same side of the globe as his own country. Even my prediction about his culture were wrong.

The lesson learned is to never assume until you have really done your research.

Before I thought that the Japanese would be more passing and about "saving face" but these concepts are in fact--false.

Dr. Huse also pointed out that Americans are team oriented. I would've thought the opposite, and I live here.

New Topic:
Today in the news, there was a Jewish man who was beat up for saying "Happy Haunukkah" a gang of "Christians" told the Jewish man that he killed Jesus. A muslim man saw all of this and tried to help the Jewish guy. The muslim got beat up.

Muslim + Jew = Team?

The point is this. In journalism we have to make sure what we are really reporting is true. I asked a few of my Muslim and Jewish friends about the relationship between the two cultures. They both said it's the governments more than anything that don't get along--the people are actually fine.

Again. Don't make the stereotypes.

No comments: