Monday, December 3, 2007

Diversity Run In

This is probably the first time I ever revealed this story to anybody. The one person in the case never told me to say thing, and I haven't said anything until now.

My first internship was in one of the world's most fast paced city. I barely hold enough to vote and I had never really understood professonalism. I worked for a multi-billion dollar marketing company as a public relations intern.

The particular office location I worked in was shockingly small for a multi-billion dollar. The office manager told me the other locations the company had were significantly larger by the thousands.

I thought wow, this is really boring. The office was always quiet and the most exciting thing that ever happened is when the office manager put more orange soda and ginger ale in the fridge when a new office supply load came in.

One thing that I never encountered before was this issue of sexual diversity in an office.

There was a woman, "Greta," who handled the company's financial matters. She made sure budget wise the company was doing okay. It was known she had a fiance and that she was very not on the market. Her fiance even stopped by the office a few times.

There was a married man, "Scott," who had a wife and daughter who held a senior level position in the company who also worked in the office.

Scott wrote a detailed note to Greta describing the sexual activities he wanted to engage in with her. She clearly was not interested at all, and she decided to ignore it. After a few days, Scott came into Greta's office and frantically asked her, "Did you destroy the note, you have to destroy the note." The highest ranking corporate executives were coming into town and he didn't want the note to be floating around when they arrived.

Greta just told him "Yes." Scott always arrived to work early to get an early start on the day. He was good at his job, and friendly to people. I would have never expected those types of actions from him.

Greta likes to arrive at work early as well, but if Scott is there first, and no one else has gotten into the office--She turns around and goes back downstairs and sits at a Starbucks until she knows when people will arrive.

I remember thinking, "This happens in a professional multi-billion dollar firm?" Greta told me to never tell anyone. She told me in her Long Island accent that she would come down to Texas and cut my throat with a nail file if I told.

Why was she so scared? Because she didn't want to be a whistleblower. There were people who could've taken care of this matter that she knew, but she just didn't want to speak.

The guy gets away with. Get's to work early and looks good doing it. While Greta gets to work early, but has to turn around and wait at Starbucks.

No comments: